Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Surviving without Social Networks: Phaze 1: Detox




So as I posted yesterday I will not be going on Facebook or Twitter for a while. Two questions still remain unanswered to many. 1) How long is this gonna last? and 2.) Why exactly is he doing it?


Well lets attempt to answer these questions:


1. How long is this gonna last? Well the unofficial answer is as long as it takes. The official answer is "probably about 2 weeks or so". Can I go two weeks without going on Facebook or Twitter? I have no idea, but I have to try. Which brings me to your second question.....


2. Why exactly is he doing it? In one word to sum it all....discipline. I have found that discipline I once had has slowly diminished over time. While I do not blame Facebook and Twitter for my lack of discipline, I am using this as a training ground for regaining discipline in all areas of my life. Eating Habits, Reading, Sleeping, Exercising, and other areas of my life such as taming my tongue, eliminating procrastination, being a great steward over all that has been given to me.


To some this could be called a "consecration", a "sabbatical", or whatever your choice religious phrase is for this season...(another church word) of my life.


Ultimately the goal of this is so that I can become a better person. I guess now would be a good time to also mention that I have also decided to limit my communication with associates and friends as well, including my inner circle. I believe removing myself from distractions is the best way to achieve this goal that I have.


I must achieve this goal...failure is not an option.


Tru

2 comments:

  1. And u will achieve it....
    ~B

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny but I understand completely. Social Networks can become addicting due to the constant access whether it's on your phones, laptops, desktops, or tablets. I have not taken a total cutoff but certainly have been spending less time by choice on them just to know that I am not completely consumed by them. It's an enjoyable experience but sometimes it's great to plug back into the "real" world and do a face to face. Be strong, dude! The Matrix will always welcome you back! LOL

    ReplyDelete